Problems with cd burner

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue May 24 17:56:33 UTC 2005

On Tue, May 24, 2005 at 01:46:12PM -0400, Devin Whalen wrote:
> I am trying to burn some files on my Linux box but I can't seem to mount
> the cd-rw drive as rw.  It is a usb cd burner and it is getting picked
> up by the system but when I try to mount it I get this error:
>
> /home/devin root at localhost:]$mount -o rw /mnt/cdrom2/
> mount: block device /dev/sr0 is write-protected, mounting read-only

Linux only supports ro on iso9660 since iso9660 is a readonly filesystem
by design.  If you want to sue a cd-rw in read/write mode it has to be
formated with UDF for packet writing and you have to get a kernel with
packet writing support, which I belive is still rather experimental and
doesn't work with all drives.

Using cd-rw as just a reusable cd on the other hand is simple.  cdrecord
has a -blank option for clearing the cd-rw before writing another
premade iso image to the disc which can then be mounted ro as usual.

> Then when I type mount I get this for the cdrom:
> /dev/sr0 on /mnt/cdrom2 type iso9660
> (ro,noexec,nosuid,nodev,users,umask=0022,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850)
>

> I tried editing my /etc/fstab file:
> /dev/sr0 /mnt/cdrom2 auto
> umask=0022,user,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,noauto,rw,exec,users 0
> 0
> That seems right to me...but obviously isn't working.  How could it be
> write-protected?  There must be some option I am missing.

> BTW, here is what I am using:
> [/home/devin root at localhost:]$uname -a
> Linux localhost 2.6.8.1-10mdk #1 Wed Sep 8 17:00:52 CEST 2004 i686
> Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 1.60GHz unknown GNU/Linux

Well look at udftools for info on packet writing on cd-rw/dvd-rw drives.

Package: udftools
Section: otherosfs
Installed-Size: 195
Maintainer: Richard Atterer <atterer-8fiUuRrzOP0dnm+yROfE0A at public.gmane.org>
Architecture: i386
Version: 1.0.0b3-9
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.3.2.ds1-4), libreadline5, debconf (>= 0.9.41), makedev (>= 2.3.1-56)
Filename: pool/main/u/udftools/udftools_1.0.0b3-9_i386.deb
Size: 72208
MD5sum: a89afd0ae2a5415687c744ca585c0aa2
 This package contains a number of user-space tools related to
 creating filesystems in the UDF (Universal Disk Format), which is
 primarily used for DVDs, but sometimes also CD-ROMs:
 .
  mkudffs - Format a device, creating an empty UDF filesystem
  cdrwtool - Low-level drive management (e.g. set writing speed, format)
  pktsetup - Set up a packet writing device (/dev/pktcdvd0) for a drive
  wrudf - Maintains a UDF filesystem
 .
 Homepage: http://sourceforge.net/projects/linux-udf/

DVD-RAM drives you just mount and use a a regular block device formated
as UDF which is a handy 4.5G backup device, but rather expensive for
media and hard to find drives for.  DVD-RW and DVD+RW is trivial to
append files to using growisofs which is what I prefer doing personally.
I hardly ever see a need to a CD or DVD sized floppy with the ability to
erase and create files at random.  Adding files I do quite a bit though.
Certainly the packet writing stuff is just too much hassle (even on
windows it can be a real pain to deal with as the cd writing tools fight
the packet writing directCD stuff over who is in charge of the drive).

Lennart Sorensen