mini-ITX graphics woes

Stewart C. Russell scruss-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Sat May 21 15:59:13 UTC 2005

Henry Spencer wrote:

> Please post at least a summary.

Okay, if you're looking for a small (63.5 x 273 x 295 mm -- a little
bigger than a ream of paper), silent computer that doesn't draw much
power, this is very similar to the parts I have now:

* motherboard: Via EPIA 800; 800MHz Via C3 processor integral to the
board. I wouldn't necessary recommend this mobo, as the Trident
Cyberblade graphics only support basic X functions. A better board might
be the EPIA MS 10000E, as it appears to have supported graphics (Via
Unichrome), and better interfaces. The EPIA MS 10000E is about $250, the
EPIA 800 about $110.

While you can get mini-ITX boards that take Intel/AMD processors, they
are very expensive, and have the same power consumption as a desktop.

* RAM: The EPIA 800 takes annoyingly expensive PC133 low-profile units
(aka Mac G4 700/800MHz RAM). Cheapest I've seen this was $101 for a
512MB stick. Later boards use slightly more commodity memory.

* CPU cooler: Zalman NB47J passive north bridge cooler (about $10).
Replaces EPIA 800 CPU fan.

* case: Morex Cubid 2699R, comes with external DC 12V 54W fanless power
brick -- about $100.

* hard disk: 60GB laptop hard drive (appx $120), plus 3.5" - 2.5"
adaptor (about $10).

* CD/DVD drive: mini-ITX cases take very expensive slim drives meant for
laptops. A DVD+/-RW dual layer unit is anything from $160 up.

I was given the EPIA 800 mainboard and the case. As I have it configured
now, it would make a small, well-behaved desktop machine for those who
don't need DVD playback. I guess that it would use 1/3 to 1/4 the power
of a desktop machine, maybe saving you $100 or more in a year in power
usage if you kept it on all the time.

Suppliers are a bit rare. Most of College St hasn't heard of mini-ITX,
though Sonnam will order it for you. KOOnline sells through ebay from
Markham, ncix.com do mail order, and if you have a trade account,
Eprom.com in Markham carry mini-ITX.

HTH,
 Stewart