(off topic) man or woman?

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Fri May 20 21:30:12 UTC 2005

Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Fri, May 20, 2005 at 05:10:10PM -0400, James Knott wrote:
>
>>Other way around.  Leslie is the male spelling and Lesley, female.
>

> Hmm, you may be right.  I guess that explains Leslie Street.
>
> I have mainly seen Beverley as a last name lately.  I have seen Shannon
> used for both male and female.  I have even met both a male and female
> with the same last name, which didn't make things any less confusing.

I've met many men and women with the same last name.  ;-)

Actually, in some cultures, there's a minor difference in the male and
female version of a last name.  I knew one Polish woman, who said that
when the male verion of a last name ends with "ski", the female version
ends with "ska", for example "Polanski" and "Polanska".