(off topic) man or woman?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Fri May 20 21:05:37 UTC 2005

On Fri, May 20, 2005 at 04:48:50PM -0400, Taavi Burns wrote:
> Hmm.  I would never associate those names as Male, though I know that
> there are other names which do cross boundaries (Kelly).  However,
> it's a lot of fun to see for one's self:
> http://babynamewizard.com/namevoyager/lnv0105.html

Both Shannon and Beverley were male names in the past that got
"hijacked".  I even know someone that is around 35 or 40 that is named
Shannon and is male, although I think it was probably already common as
a female name as well when he was named.  After all in english most
female names (used to) end in a vowel and male names end in consonants.
It doesn't seem to hold 100% but it certainly used to hold close to 100%
of the time.

Lennart Sorensen