(off topic) man or woman?

Colin McGregor colinmc151-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Fri May 20 18:59:31 UTC 2005

"Jim Skehill" <JimS-pFJmkVL1u50 at public.gmane.org> on Friday, May 20, 2005 2:47 PM wrote:

> How about
> Michael Learned of the Waltons (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0495229/bio)
> Michael Steele of the Bangles
> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Steele_%28musician%29)
>
> The former I know is pronounced mike-kell.

Fair enough, though this bit in the biography of Michael Learned did catch
my eye:

"She was originally billed "Miss Michael Learned" on "The Waltons" (1972)
not out of ego or demand, but for the simple fact that Ms. Learned was
unknown to the public at the time she won the role of Olivia and the powers
that be did not want the audience to be confused about her gender."

While it might not be quite as clear cut as I suggested in my original
reply, I would still say male would be by far the way to bet when you see
the name Michael...