ms on the offensive again

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Fri May 20 17:05:12 UTC 2005

On Fri, May 20, 2005 at 10:35:59AM -0400, Alex Beamish wrote:
> it's the same mentality that American car makers espouse -- "You car's
> three years old? It's junk! Get a new car!!" This, compared to the ads
> that Volvo or Volkswagen run, boasting about how their cars are still
> on the road ten years later, thank you very much.

How about being unable to buy spare parts for a 10 year old american
car.  It makes no sense.  If they didn't think changing them every
single model year they wouldn't have to many different spare parts and
they would be able to stock parts for 20 or 30 years of models.  Of
course it probably is a matter of trying to force people to buy a new
car instead.  My dad has no problems getting parts for a 20 year old
Mercedes, but for a 10 year old Pontiac it is much harder.

> Why? Everything was working. Why upgrade? I have piles of application
> software that works well. Oh yeah, and I also have two Mandrake 10
> installations that I use to do everything except audio editing. Once I
> get that figured out on Linux, the Windows machine gets archived and
> recycled.

I would think something like this combo should do well:
EMU 10k1 or 10k2 based card (SB Live! or Audigy)
ALSA drivers for that card (Most Audigy and Live! cards are supported,
but check first with ALSA to be sure).
Audacity audio editor/recorder.  Seems to be getting quite a bit of
press from both the linux and windows world lately.

Lennart Sorensen