Hardware security in PCs to accompany new Windows

psema4 psema4-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu May 19 23:02:48 UTC 2005

> >>The MAJOR issue for MS is that they can't do anything to piss everyone
> >>off at once. [snip]
> >
> > Sorry about taking the quote out of context, but Microsoft is trying
> > to take out patents on portions of email and IMAP (in Canada at least)
> > - doing so puts an awful lot of organizations at risk of potential
> > lawsuits.
> >
> > That sounds to me like they don't care much about pissing everyone off at once.
> >

> My understanding, is that you can't get patents on prior art.  I'd like
> to see them prove that they "invented" those things, when they've been
> around for years.  I guess they're taking a page from Daryl McBrides
> book, on claiming rights to everything.  He's even claimed IBM's JFS,
> which was originally developed for OS/2.

This is part of another conversation but hilights (and links directly
to one of the patent abstracts) the issue.

[-- excerpt starts --]
Microsoft is also trying to claim "ownership" to parts of IMAP in a
*CANADIAN* patent application (for those who didn't realize that CIPO
unilaterally changed Canadian patent policy without judicial or
parliamentary oversight).

http://patents1.ic.gc.ca/details?patent_number=2451875

It says it hasn't been granted yet, if people want to take on the task
of challenging bogus patent applications.
[-- excerpt ends --]

When I get a chance, I'll expand on it in the wiki....  Speaking of
wiki, it appears to be down.  :(

--
- SGE