Hardware security in PCs to accompany new Windows

Henry Spencer henry-lqW1N6Cllo0sV2N9l4h3zg at public.gmane.org
Thu May 19 17:20:50 UTC 2005

On Thu, 19 May 2005, Peter wrote:
> Oh, [now] I see what you meant by 'not removable'. I was suggesting the
> possible use of a dallas ibutton or chipcard as the identifying device...

Chairman Bill is likely to write his own specs for this rather than
relying on existing designs.  I think it all too likely that the specs
will demand that the identification hardware be an integral part of the
CPU or motherboard chipset and *not* readily movable from machine to
machine.  He *wants* you to have to buy new software licences when you
replace old/dead hardware.

                                                          Henry Spencer
                                                       henry-lqW1N6Cllo0sV2N9l4h3zg at public.gmane.org