Hardware security in PCs to accompany new Windows

Peter plp-ysDPMY98cNQDDBjDh4tngg at public.gmane.org
Thu May 19 05:43:46 UTC 2005

On Wed, 18 May 2005, Sy wrote:

> I totally don't respect copy protection.  It requires hardware which
> is not user-servicable, not user-accessible in any form and such..
> otherwise it's just pathetic.  The push for computers which are just
> dumb terminals hooked up to a highspeed connection, or a closed
> hardware/firmware/drivers/operating system would be the only two
> reasonably successful ways of preventing various forms of
> content/software/whatever piracy.

Why is a lockdown to hardware better knowing that todays hardware is not
expected to last 2 years of continuous operation ? A dongle or chipcard
can be pulled and put into the followup machine as opposed to a fried
motherboard or cpu s/n, not to mention hard disk s/n etc. xp already
uses these items to lock the os to the instance of hardware one is
running. I find locking to physical hardware that is known to fail often
and hard is worse than locking to a piece of removable media (like a
Dallas button, chipcard, or something like that). The current model
requires re-registration every 2 years or so because the hardware tends
to last that long. The total span of support is 6 years maximum so far
(last supported = win98, we are in 2005). So whatever software you buy
is not expected to last more than 5 years no matter what and no matter
how many times you upgrade. Consider this when computing the TCO on
something that costs $3k a license. I have operating 10 year old
software (and older) and telco and other people use tons of computing
equipment from the early 1990's. They use hardware license keys. So does
your tv set top box, your bank (credit card) etc. Yes it can be annoying
but other things are much more annoying (like the need to 'call home'
for systems that are not intended to ever be connected to the outside
world).

Peter