Hardware security in PCs to accompany new Windows

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu May 19 02:05:25 UTC 2005

On 5/18/05, Lennart Sorensen <lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On Wed, May 18, 2005 at 04:16:19PM -0400, Andrew Hammond wrote:
> > Because we can go with Opterons instead? That said, the ppc is no
> > slouch, and the power5 is just dishy.
>
> The opteron systems aren't immune from having MS tell board makers what
> features they want installed to run future versions of windows.  Of
> course people are free not to buy from companies that listen to
> Microsoft.

The particular danger is in the notion of "next gen" disk drives
having 'copy protection' technology pushed into them.

Thus, instead of an ATA interface, you get to talk to a "smart drive"
that speaks some sort of Microsoft file networking protocol.

This gets the RIAA/MPAA folk behind it, as this can help enforce the
"Preventing Mickey Mouse From Becoming Free Acts."
"The true  measure of a  man is how he treats  someone who can  do him
absolutely no good." -- Samuel Johnson, lexicographer (1709-1784)