DVD Authoring

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue May 17 19:27:52 UTC 2005

On Tue, May 17, 2005 at 02:19:35PM -0400, billt-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org wrote:
> I'm trying to figure out how to create DVDs. The kind that you can play in a normal DVD player.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestion for programs or applications that can be used on linux to do DVD authoring.
>
> Also since I'm a complete newbie at this anyone with advise would be helpful.

dvdauthor + growisofs (with -dvd-compat and -dvd-video options as far as
I recall)

dvdauthor helps to setup the right VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS dirs and make
ifo index files for each mpeg2 file in there (it has add commands to
add another video file into the dir with the right name).

growisofs with the dvd-compat flag (to force finalizing the disc) and
the -dvd-video option (to the mkisofs options at the end of growisofs)
should do the job.  Try it on a dvd-rw/dvd+rw first and see if mplayer
and such recognize it as a dvd before wasting real media.

Lennart Sorensen