recommend a PCI wireless card?

Paul Mora paulmora-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon May 16 00:38:20 UTC 2005

On 5/12/05, Lennart Sorensen <lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Well this looks promising:
> http://www.ralinktech.com/supp-1.htm
>
> Their driver is entirely source code (no .o files or other crap that I
> can see).
>
> Anyone know what cards use the rt2400 (802.11b) and rt2500 (802.11g)
> chipsets?

The ASUS WL-130G is an example of such a card; it uses the RT2500
chipset.  You can pick it up for around $30.00 at Tiger Direct
(Woodbine & Hwy 7).

Problem is, I've never gotten either the GPL driver, nor the older
non-GPL one to work successfully natively under Linux.  The driver
compiles just fine, but upon load, the kernel crashes.  I fought with
it for about a week before I gave up.  Now it sits on the shelf
waiting for some more time for me to give it another go.

I did manage to get it to work under "ndiswrapper" using the included
Windows drivers, and it worked great for awhile, but I really needed
to get it working natively.

> Nice to see someone releasing a wireless driver as GPL from the
> manufacturer (which they appear to have done as of driver version
> 1.4.4.0).

True enough.