8139too giving only 10Mbps

Henry Spencer henry-lqW1N6Cllo0sV2N9l4h3zg at public.gmane.org
Sun May 15 22:39:32 UTC 2005

On Sun, 15 May 2005, Marc Lijour wrote:
> | Machine 1        |
>         Supported link modes:   10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
>                                 100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
>         Speed: 10Mb/s
>         Duplex: Half
> | Machine 2        |
> However my Mandrake detects a sis900 10/100 capable...
> But the logs shows that the card picks up 100Mbps anyway.
> The connection is limited at 10Mbps by machine 1 without machine 2 knowing?

No.  10Mbps and 100Mbps use completely different signaling methods; if
packets are getting through at all, the two interfaces *are* in agreement
on which one to use.  Any apparent disagreement is an error in reporting.

If they can't talk to each other at all, *that* might be some sort of
10/100 disagreement.

(There is much to be said for interfaces which have a visible 10/100
indicator LED...!)

                                                          Henry Spencer
                                                       henry-lqW1N6Cllo0sV2N9l4h3zg at public.gmane.org