The locked-down desktop

Mike Newman presidentofthefuture-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sun May 15 21:36:42 UTC 2005

On 5/15/05, Robert Brockway <rbrockway-wgAaPJgzrDxH4x6Dk/4f9A at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Hi Mike.  Locking down the desktop is a function of the window
> manager/desktop environment, not the distro.
>
> When the account is setup a bunch of rc files can be dropped in, possibly
> via a script on a USB device, so no need to go to the trouble of
> developing yet another distro.  You can have locked-down users and non
> locked-down users using the same box as I have in one case (using Debian
> Woody).
Well I wasn't really thinking of developing a new distro (I wish I had
that much time on my hands!) I meant an installation of an existing
distro - simply phrased badly. :)

As for auto-login: I agree that it's not exactly difficult to log in,
but most people I know will just create one account with no password
and share it with everyone in the household. Worse yet is that the
account invariably has administrator privileges

Frankly the best solution is for people to recognize that computers
are serious machines and that some degree of education is necessary to
use them responsibly. However, some people simply refuse to get
informed while insisting on having access to the services that a
modern personal computer provides.

Well thanks for your advice everyone!

--
Get Firefox - Take back the Web