apropos voip: http://www.testyourvoip.com/: opinions ?

Joseph Kubik josephkubik-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sun May 15 20:24:51 UTC 2005

The MOS score that they are computing is a standard VOIP readiness test.

See this for how your codec affects the MOS
http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/788/voip/codec_complexity.html#mos

See this for MOS, explained in English
http://wiki.heinous.org/index.php/Linux_Caffe_IT_ideas_and_discussion

The real problem with their test is that it is done over a 20 second sample.
The Internet is severely random. So, what is good one day is not the next.
If you get a good score, and you're phone calls are non-critical, then
you might proceed to use VOIP.

To do critical phone connections over IP you need to do some empirical
testing over a long period of time, then look at the WORST scores (you
cannot throw out the 5% outliers like you do with most statistics) and
decide if you can afford to have 5% of your calls at that lowest
quality.

-Joseph-

P.S. Does Asterisk have a way to measure link quality, and follow a
secondary connection?
Can you get your real time VOIP quality feedback tied into your
routing protocol?