Any experience with DataWind Wireless Pocket web Surfer?

psema4 psema4-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sat May 14 18:47:11 UTC 2005

> The toy seems to be nice and usefull. I wonder how they produce images
> of web pages on the server, to send them to this wireless displayer. Its
> probably a patented technology but I suspect there is nothing very
> complex there. Or anybody knows about a similar open source solution?

It's looks like data-over-cellular.  They're not keeping the pages on
their servers.

It'd be interesting to find out what's OS is running on it though.

On the open source solution side, I'm fairly certain you won't find
any turnkey solutions.  (I'd love to be corrected on that!)

You might be able to put something together with a Sharp Zaurus and a
decent data plan with your cell provider.  Definately a YMMV
situation.

Pocket web surfer looks kinda neat, I just don't need another internet
(or cell) bill.

--
- SGE