Bash keybinding (was: Any Bash features you'd like to see?)

Sy sy1235-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sat May 14 15:38:14 UTC 2005

On 5/13/05, Chris F.A. Johnson <cfaj-uVmiyxGBW52XDw4h08c5KA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On Fri, 13 May 2005, Sy wrote:
> > echo <up>  # becomes echo bar
> > cd <up> #becomes cd /foo
>
>     Put this in your .inputrc file:

<snip>
> "\eOd": backward-word
> "\eOc": forward-word
>
>      Or, (depending on your terminal):
>
> "\e[1;5D": backward-word
> "\e[1;5C": forward-word

My terminal is using the \eOd format.  After searching and playing
about for a half an hour I was not able to find a proper keyboard map
for this style, nor was I able to get up/down working for search
history.  I commented-out the existing up/down keybindings from
/etc/inputrc without success.. up/down are still bound.

After doing some translation, I'm presently left with this:

"\eOa": history-search-backward  ## control+up-arrow
"\eOb": history-search-forward   ## control+down-arrow

in .inputrc, which works.

In the thread, ^v <key> was mentioned, to find various codes, which was a help.