Canada's own DMCA

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sat May 14 15:25:19 UTC 2005

On 5/14/05, Rob Sutherland <rob-HoWcdTCbwWKHoZZAE0nKLw at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On Sat, 14 May 2005 02:29:18 +0000
> Christopher Browne <cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>

> > > One thing you're apparently forgetting, is that every time you purchase
> > > a blank CD or audio cassette, you're paying a levee for the legal right
> > > to copy music.  It's impossible to be a "pirate" in Canada, if you're
> > > copying for your own personal use.
> >
> > That is an excellent example of the LACK of "moral high ground."
> >
> > And when Canadians make copies of music produced by people that aren't
> > beneficiaries of that levy, the artists see no money.  Perhaps legal,
> > but hardly just.
>
> So, you feel that because of this 'lack of justice' we should simply allow the
> RIAA  to dictate our government policy on the issue?

I certainly never said that, and the use of this sort of "straw man"
technique of making up things you want to attribute to others is one
of the sleazier debating techniques.  It would be about as sleazy for
me to ask when you stopped beating your wife.

It seems to me that the CPCC has played THEIR hand fairly well so as
to make it difficult for anyone to argue against their position
without getting uncomfortably close to/associated with the "I support
piracy"  position.

Their approach has been plenty questionable, but the whole situation
is enough of a sloppy mudpit that there's a paucity of high ground
available to be taken.  And when you get there, you discover it
sinking underneath you. :-(

Of course, the federal political debate of the last couple of months
is much the same, so we can hardly expect better anywhere else...
"The true  measure of a  man is how he treats  someone who can  do him
absolutely no good." -- Samuel Johnson, lexicographer (1709-1784)