Any Bash features you'd like to see?

Scott Allen scotta-cpI+UMyWUv9BDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Sat May 14 11:59:33 UTC 2005

On Fri May 13,2005 09:33:47 AM Chris F.A. Johnson wrote:
>    You already have random access with popd:
>
> popd: popd [+N | -N] [-n]
>     Removes entries from the directory stack.  With no arguments,
>     removes the top directory from the stack, and cd's to the new
>     top directory.

So for random access directory changes I have to:

- Always use pushd (or an alias) to change directories.

- Do a dirs command to list my previous directories.

- Count left or right from the dirs listing to determine the value of
N that I need to use.

- Enter a popd command with the N parameter to change to the desired
directory.

This seems pretty cumbersome. In most cases, using cd with tab
completion would probably be faster. It's not like the quick "select
from a pop up window involked by a single key press" method that I'm
used to with the 4OS2 shell.

--
** Scott Allen   scotta-cpI+UMyWUv9BDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org **
**     Toronto, Ontario, Canada     **