Installfests:Cats

Peter plp-ysDPMY98cNQDDBjDh4tngg at public.gmane.org
Fri May 13 20:08:12 UTC 2005

>> the telecom people who knew from experience that 000 is the number that
>> is least likely to be dialed by glitch in a rotary dialer system.
>
> I recall reading once that the 1-9,0 sequence used in North
> America was not universal and that 0-9 was used on some places
> (and also some places laid the digits out in revers order around
> the dial).  So, 9 and 0 weren't the longest to dial everywhere.

According to Google Anoine Barnay patented the rotary dial in 1923 but
the following URL (and others) explains that it is due to Stowger, the
American man who invented the rotary phone exchange in 1888 or so:

http://encyclopedia.laborlawtalk.com/Rotary_dial

You were right about other countries using different numbering schemes.

Peter