Installfests:Cats

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Fri May 13 18:18:27 UTC 2005

On Fri, May 13, 2005 at 09:07:47PM +0300, Peter wrote:
> the telecom people who knew from experience that 000 is the number that
> is least likely to be dialed by glitch in a rotary dialer system.

Well glitches can dial 911 quite easily.  I had a phoneline a few years
ago that went staticy on me, and sometimes just didn't work.  After a
few days of this, I got a call in the morning while sleeping from 911
asking if there was a problem because they just got a call from there,
so I told them my line had been acting up.  After that it became rather
urgent on Bell's part to figure out what was wrong with the line, and
after a few days (with a few dispatches from 911 because of "calls" from
the line) they detected a short to ground when it started raining.
After that they replaced the line in the ground and the problem went
away.

Apparently a broken phone line shorting to ground can pulse 911 fairly
regularly.  I suppose it pulsed other numbers too at random, but none of
those ever called back, or at least not persistently enough to get
through.

Lennart Sorensen