Any Bash features you'd like to see?

Peter plp-ysDPMY98cNQDDBjDh4tngg at public.gmane.org
Thu May 12 14:53:58 UTC 2005

On Thu, 12 May 2005, Stewart C. Russell wrote:

>> But why not go all the way ...
>
> Do I get to say, "Bash is a nice operating system, but it lacks a
> lightweight scripting language" now?

On the other hand, why would it be possible to put a here-file in bash
just about anywhere, and why would that not be a script in the language
used by the command $0 in that statement ? like:

/some/interpreter -flag -bar -baz -- <<EOF
 	command1
 	command2
 	command3
 	#etc ...
EOF

what's the difference, except it makes escaping and avoiding unwanted
side effects (like /some/interpreter being able to export variables we
don't really want it to be able to) more interesting vs. my 'solution' ?

After all bash *is* the default shell in all linux versions being
marketed and it is used to run most system chores (esp. /etc/init.d etc
lately relies on bash functionality and no longer runs under /bin/sh
only afaik).

Peter