Any Bash features you'd like to see?

Scott Allen scotta-cpI+UMyWUv9BDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Thu May 12 12:26:28 UTC 2005

On Wed May 11,2005 02:44:43 PM Taavi Burns wrote:
> On 5/11/05, John Vetterli <jvetterli-zC6tqtfhjqE at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> > I'd like to have some sort of directory history (i.e. as I cd from
> > directory to directory, have bash remember the last N directories
> > I visited, and be able to go back).

> You mean 'pushd' and 'popd'?  (well, it might be nice to not have to
> specify pushd)

I'd like something more like:
Automatic pushd to a directory history list and then be able to
switch directly to any directory in the list. Not popd (with
directory lost), popd (with directory lost)...

I'm not sure how display and selection of the directory history list
would work. The 4DOS, 4OS2 and 4NT shells (for their respective OS's)
pop up a window (text based, a la curses) when you press ctrl-pageup,
from which you can cursor up/down and press enter to select a
previously visited directory. The same kind of pop up window is
available for command history.

--
** Scott Allen   scotta-cpI+UMyWUv9BDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org **
**     Toronto, Ontario, Canada     **