Any Bash features you'd like to see?

Ilya Palagin tux-4CS0UopE6WdBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Wed May 11 16:41:19 UTC 2005

Quoting William Park <opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org>:

>> Undefined variables in shell scripts are difficult to debug sometimes.
>> An option to disallow them?
>
> Explain what you mean by "undefined".  Variable can be "undefined" if it
> does not exist.  Or, it can be "undefined" if it has empty value (nul).

Here is what I want:

#!/bin/bash
S1='hello world'
echo $Sl

Executing of this code won't give any warnings, just an empty string.
Instead, I
would like to see "ERROR: undefined variable Sl in string 3", because
I'm trying
to print SL, not S-one.

I want to trap variables which weren't used with '=' or another assignment
operator.