Any Bash features you'd like to see?

Peter plp-ysDPMY98cNQDDBjDh4tngg at public.gmane.org
Wed May 11 06:40:04 UTC 2005

On Wed, 11 May 2005, William Park wrote:

> I've just added bunch of string operations into Bash shell.
>    http://freshmeat.net/projects/bashdiff/
>
> While I'm at it, is there any features that you'd like to see in Bash
> shell?

Well, not realy a feature request, but maybe building some sort of
partial 'screen' functionality into bash would be good. This is
especially handy when doing remote administration imho. ^Z and fg are
really lame as job control interface imho. Maybe a 1..3 lines of
terminal could be dedicated to displaying the running status of a few
jobs (like background downloads or upgrades or updatedb or similar).
They could appear on the bottom or at the top of the terminal area. This
would require ncurses.

just an idea,
Peter