paid support options meeting

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed May 11 00:38:26 UTC 2005

On 5/10/05, Sy <sy1235-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On 5/8/05, Christopher Browne <cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>
> > And that situation is in nobody's interests.  FAR better to pay $100
> > up front to get someone to do a fresh install so that there are no
> > arguments about who mussed things up.
>
> ... is it feasable for a person to bring a complete system to the
> installfest and pay someone money then and there to set all their
> hardware up?  There are users who simply cannot figure out how to get
> application x, or their video card or their scanner working properly..
> stuff like that.

If they're willing to cart everything in, I see no reason for this to
cause anyone to expect to be paid a fee at the InstallFest.  "Oh, you
brought a monitor.  I won't touch that unless you open your wallet..."

My point is that if an organization plans to install a bunch of PCs
with Linux and want their consultant (which might well be a GTALUG
person) to support it, it would be a false economy to get a free
"InstallFest installation" where there _isn't_ a warranty and where
consistency may be weak.  The installers may be knowledgeable and
helpful; keeping modifications to things like /etc/hosts in your
'standard form' so you can use your automated update tools isn't
necessarily on their list

If someone can turn installing Linux on PCs into a business, more
power to them.  That almost certainly needs to be kept fairly separate
from "GTALUG InstallFest," though.
"The true  measure of a  man is how he treats  someone who can  do him
absolutely no good." -- Samuel Johnson, lexicographer (1709-1784)