What about post-installfest support?

Walter Dnes waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Tue May 10 02:47:55 UTC 2005

On Mon, May 09, 2005 at 11:24:38AM -0400, Andrew Hammond wrote

> I would suggest that if you're asking these kinds of questions you
> perhaps lack the necessary breadth of experience to make a solid
> recommendation on distros.

  Correct, except for Redhat and Gentoo.  I did use Debian for a while,
but drifted away last summer.  The "stable" versions of GTK and other
libs were so old that Fire-bird/fox and RealPlayer refused to install.
I tried CRUX, which is a light semi-Gentoo.  Then I figured I might as
well go whole-hog with Gentoo.

  I used Redhat a lot from about 6.2 to 7.3 (tried 8.0 and 9.0 but
backed out).  Redhat's RPMs were a pain if you wanted to to do a build
with a lot of dependancies
  - rpm_a failed due to lack of b and c
  - I could load rpm_b, but c failed due to lack of d and e
  - eventually, by writing down all the missing dependancies, you could
    load the missing rpms, and get it to work.  Hopefully, Redhat
    (Fedora) has that problem solved now.

An infinite number of monkeys pounding away on keyboards will
eventually produce a report showing that Windows is more secure,
and has a lower TCO, than linux.