installfest support

Colin Smillie csmillie-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sun May 8 21:51:12 UTC 2005

On 5/8/05, David J Patrick <davidjpatrick-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> For the planned installfest, at linuxcaffe, here are a few things I
> would like to be able to offer new users;
>
> 1) a sign-up sheet that
>     a) briefly describes what might happen to their computer
>     b) gathers contact information
>     c) gathers a hardware profile
>     d) gathers computer usage profile (including dual-boot preference)
>     e) has a liability waiver
>     f) is signed
>
> 2) a new linux user pamphlet that features
>     a) an explanation of "what is the command line, how do I find it and
> why should I care ?"
>     b) an introduction to "man" and "info"
>     c) summarized essential commands
>     d) links to linux basics on the web
>     e) links to helpful sites specific to their freshly installed distro
> (ubuntu Hoary Hedgehog)
>     f) directions to mailing list/ IRC/ LUG/ community help

I've never attended or read about an installfest before.  Is the goal
to take the users PC and install Linux for them?  Or do they install
linux themselves and agree to the choices/risks as outlined by the
distribution they choose?  I was thinking the installfest would be
somewhere where you get assistance installing linux yourself (
possibly with someone watching/assisting ) and many of the risks above
would be limited.