installfest support

David J Patrick davidjpatrick-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Sun May 8 17:58:34 UTC 2005

David J Patrick wrote:

>For the planned installfest, at linuxcaffe, here are a few things I
>would like to be able to offer new users;
>
>1) a sign-up sheet that
>    c) gathers a hardware profile

Many (most ?) users will be bringing a box with Windoze on it. Is there
a Win hardware profile utility that could be run (at home, before they
that things apart) that would help the (human) installers get thing
right ? How about a web-based HW probe ? The third alternative would be
something bootable.

>    d) gathers computer usage profile (including dual-boot preference)

Dual-boot raises issues;
    -backup
       can we (should we) offer a (paid) back-up service, before the
install ? What medium ? What data ?
    -migration
       There are utilities to migrate Windows users data, is there an
off-the-shelf solution suitable for an install-fest ?

>    e) has a liability waiver

any lawyers in the crowd ? The installees shall be made aware of
potential risks, The (human) installers will not be held liable for;
-loss of data
-loss of productivity
-damage to hardware
-snooty attitudes of WinXP loving (former) friends

djp