installfest distros

David J Patrick davidjpatrick-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Sun May 8 17:34:03 UTC 2005

Presuming that those bringing their box to an installfest are less
experienced (else, why don't they just do it themselves ?) What distros
should we be considering ? If follow-up support is part of the picture,
should there even be an option ?

ubuntu
    My current desktop. After using Mandrake, for a couple of years, and
the Knoppix HD install, ubuntu Hoary Hedgehog has a lot going for it;
    pro; debian(ish), good hardware support, strong dev community, gnome
    con; non-free (but important) elements switched off, by default
(some say this is a pro), med/high hardware requirements

mepis (personally never tried it, but comes highly recommended)
    pro; debian, ...
    con; ...

DamnSmallLinux (for hardware underachievers)
    pro; very low hardware requirements, debian, excellent knoppix-based
hw detection, security enhancements, hardware enhancements (USB
bootable, user files options), growing one-click software repository, ...
    con; neither gnome nor KDE (although no problems running the apps)

others ?

djp