installfest support

David J Patrick davidjpatrick-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Sun May 8 06:26:42 UTC 2005

For the planned installfest, at linuxcaffe, here are a few things I
would like to be able to offer new users;

1) a sign-up sheet that
    a) briefly describes what might happen to their computer
    b) gathers contact information
    c) gathers a hardware profile
    d) gathers computer usage profile (including dual-boot preference)
    e) has a liability waiver
    f) is signed

2) a new linux user pamphlet that features
    a) an explanation of "what is the command line, how do I find it and
why should I care ?"
    b) an introduction to "man" and "info"
    c) summarized essential commands
    d) links to linux basics on the web
    e) links to helpful sites specific to their freshly installed distro
(ubuntu Hoary Hedgehog)
    f) directions to mailing list/ IRC/ LUG/ community help

Yes, I know, #s 1 and 2 are to be delivered in the "dead tree" medium,
but if they are printed out only as required, on recycled paper, 2
sided, and /incredibly/ tiny ;-) the environmental impact should be
minimal. I can hug trees with the best of 'em ! It has been my (recent)
experience that the new linux (or indeed new computer) user is easily
disoriented, and may not be able to remember how to get to the items on #2.

3) (and this bears a lot of further discussion) access to prompt, paid,
professional help. This list is thick with gurus, many of whom have
expressed a desire to receive money in exchange for expertise. None of
will be buying sailboats with Open Source software sales, any time soon,
but service and support might put a Pontiac on the parking pad. How
might this happen ? house calls ? phone ? IRC ? priority email ? And how
much $$$ ? I have several ideas, how 'bout you ?

djp