Any colleges or universities teaching Linux?

Mike Newman presidentofthefuture-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri May 6 00:49:49 UTC 2005

I have a friend who's doing computer engineering at U of T and he says
that all of his programming courses are in the Unix environment.

Centennial College offers a *very* basic Unix course in the third
semester of the Computer Programmer/Analyst program. They basically
have Red Hat 7 running on an IBM S/390 that students can telnet/ssh
into (although the course does not even mention SSH!)

Free software has a small but faithful "underground" at Centennial.
Unfortunately Microsoft gives the college a lot of money to keep
things as homogenous as possible so the odds of seeing (for example)
Firefox added to the default workstation image are virtually none, let
alone Linux making inroads into actual classes! On the other hand my
C# teacher nearly did a backflip when I told him about Mono.

My advice is to work free software into your own homework environment.
If you find something that works well, let your prof know and they
might even ask for you to demo it for the class. I've been using
OpenOffice, Mono and Eclipse to do all of my work so far, and I let
people know about it.