Meeting updates...

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu May 5 16:42:27 UTC 2005

On 5/5/05, billt-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org <billt-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> > Note that a GTALUG already exists, or existed, with Thamer and others
> > forming it after Jan cast him out of paradise.
>
> That was GTABUG. That pretty much was stillborn the minute it started.

No, it wasn't.

<http://www.gtabug.ca/> is the web site for the GTA BSD Users Group,
which was an active group, last I heard.  They meet on the 3rd Tuesday
of the month at Olympic 76 Pizza, near Yonge & Wellesley.  Never had
anything to do with Thamer AFAIK...

I've been there a couple of times; good pizza, and some pretty good
people.  No sense of "organizing events" involved; they pretty well
get together for the monthly social/technical interaction.

They had the funniest story...  There are often enough people that
they arrange a large square of 8 little tables, where the centre is
left open.  Once, a pizza got lost in that centre spot, which has
since received the name "/dev/null".

Back in 2002, Thamer tried starting something up that was indeed
called GTALUG.  But just about the only references you can still find
are in Google cache...

> At the excutive level this has been a very real (if not written) policy of encouraging
>either SIGs or other more convient venues for part of TLUG members to meet.
>Geographically this is a very big city with very poor transportation
facilities and many
>small local meetings is the best way to get people together.

Hear, hear!

I mentioned this via the notion of encouraging having "SIGs".  People
have varying interests, and it seems to me that there is plenty of
room for the strategy for connecting them to involve connecting people
to Subjects Of Interest.

Not everyone will care about every topic.  The Installfest is a highly
useful thing for helping out people who are novices to Linux.  It may
be of "negative interest level" to programmers.  It won't be of much
interest to "computing theoreticians," either.

That's perfectly fine, as in a city of 3-odd million people, there's
room for there to be a whole lot of events.
"The true  measure of a  man is how he treats  someone who can  do him
absolutely no good." -- Samuel Johnson, lexicographer (1709-1784)