Meeting updates...

Anthony de Boer adb-tlug-AbAJl/g/NLXk1uMJSBkQmQ at public.gmane.org
Thu May 5 03:45:41 UTC 2005

Christopher Browne wrote:
> > Note that a GTALUG already exists, or existed, with Thamer and others
> > forming it after Jan cast him out of paradise.
>
> As nothing was ever formalized, that isn't particularly relevant.

They can claim prior art, or the organizational-naming equivalent thereof.
Even if the law ignores unincorporated entities and allows it to you
because you're the first to want to incorporate under that name, morally
they had the name first.

> In the discussions on Tuesday, the myopia was quite interesting...
> The assumption seemed to be made that an "Installfest" MUST occur
> alongside a TTC subway station, despite the fact that the need for
> people to transport PCs makes such locations more or less the WORST
> possible.

I've carried as many as two rackmount systems in a backpack on the
subway, while installing SDSL nearlos.  Yes, it was a heavy load, but
that was the easiest way to move between the endpoint-locations of that
link.

However, for practical purposes, if you're moving computers around you
want wheels, and that means a location with parking closeby and a
preference for the non-vehicle-hostile suburbs.

Granted, if you don't have access to a vehicle you're stuck with The
Bitter Way, a bike, or your feet.  We need little computer trailers to
tow behind bikes, eh?

--
Anthony de Boer