Canada's own DMCA

Anthony de Boer adb-tlug-AbAJl/g/NLXk1uMJSBkQmQ at public.gmane.org
Thu May 5 02:46:17 UTC 2005

Christopher Browne wrote:
> - The Conservatives, I mean, "the party formerly known as Western
> Reform", aren't the PCs or "Tories", and will continue to have a hard
> time attracting Eastern votes.  It would be REALLY HARD for them to
> change themselves enough to attract Ontario votes in quantity.  It
> might well be easier to resurrect the Progressive Conservative party,
> and it has been pretty well in the grave for a decade or more...

It's most certainly NOT Preston Manning's Reform party anymore.  Stephen
Harper was born and raised an Ontario boy.  And people like Belinda
Stronach (from the GTA) and Peter MacKay (from Nova Scotia) are having
a major influence too.

Take a look at where the seats are: a third are in Ontario, and a quarter
in Quebec.  With the Bloc taking most of the latter, it's pretty
difficult for anyone to form government without most of Ontario, so a
Conservative government would have a lot of local Ontario voices in caucus.

The Conservative party took some huge steps toward the political centre
at the Montreal convention in March; a number of Reform planks were
considered and then set aside by a majority of delegates.  The general
sense of the room was that Canada needs a moderate, electable government
more than it needs anything that adventurous.

And the Libranos doth protest too much about "hidden agendas".  What was
Chretien's hidden agenda when he was promising to axe the GST?  What was
McGuinty's, when he promised that there would be no new taxes?  What was
Paul Martin's hidden agenda, when he said he had a bold new plan?  Or,
for that matter, when he said to wait until after Gomery says who did it,
despite http://www.gomery.ca/en/termsofreference/ paragraph K saying that
the final report can NOT lay blame?

Sorry about getting so far off-topic.  We may not want a election (who
ever does?), but it's our duty to make some changes.

--
Anthony de Boer