Semi-OT: Database for "average" users

Peter plp-ysDPMY98cNQDDBjDh4tngg at public.gmane.org
Mon May 2 20:07:02 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2 May 2005, phil wrote:

>>> philosophy of having everything and the kitchen sink into one
>>> product. Neither side is right or wrong its a matter of preference.
>>> I prefer to be able too control what I put into my systems.
>>
>> Don't know much about DB, but doesn't anyone who 'knows better' share
>> this same preference? Have we not seen the sometimes disastrous
>> results of putting out a software product with too much bloat built
>> in (ie. Win)?
>
> If non-techie adoption is considered desirable, there does have to be some
> compromise with the ease-of-use concept.  Not to get into a "remember when"

Since when do economy class passengers know how to fly the plane, let
alone design modifications for it (push the button and watch the landing
gear come out - at 400 mph - oops you didn't know it was going to stall
at that altitude ? oh, we sell upgrades that cover that situation) If it
goes on everyone who ever used an internet cafe's services once can
claim 'developer experience' credits towards a CS degree, no ? After
all, they *did* post an empty blog message, no ?

I have a little book here, by "Oszu and Valduriez, called 'Distributed
Database Systems' or similar. Makes for interesting reading. Bring
sandwiches and blanket. It applies to any database that is accessed by
more than one writer at a time among other things. Oh, and it's an
introductory academic text, not a solution book.

Peter (no database expert)