Semi-OT: Database for "average" users

phil phillip-l+pbsqP8NtUm29vl6s1fFg at public.gmane.org
Mon May 2 17:28:24 UTC 2005

On May 2, 2005, at 1:11 PM, JoeHill wrote:

>> The windows (and especially MAC) world has the
>> philosophy of having everything and the kitchen sink into one
>> product. Neither
>> side is right or wrong its a matter of preference. I prefer to be
>> able too
>> control what I put into my systems.
>
> Don't know much about DB, but doesn't anyone who 'knows better' share
> this same
> preference? Have we not seen the sometimes disastrous results of
> putting out a
> software product with too much bloat built in (ie. Win)?

If non-techie adoption is considered desirable, there does have to be
some compromise with the ease-of-use concept.  Not to get into a
"remember when" competition, but I've done useful work using filters
and pipes.  I've also installed Linux by starting with a kernel and
building up from there.  I really don't expect many people coming to
the OS today -- especially if they're coming from other systems -- to
be happy with the minimalist approach.

The idea of keeping Unix-style systems only for the techno-elite has
some merit, but it doesn't seem to be where most of the supporters are
trying to go.

Phillip Mills
Multi-platform software development
(416) 224-0714