Semi-OT: Database for "average" users

phil phillip-l+pbsqP8NtUm29vl6s1fFg at public.gmane.org
Mon May 2 17:16:05 UTC 2005

On May 2, 2005, at 12:44 PM, Lennart Sorensen wrote:

> You are generally much better off never starting to use the crappy
> database wannabe's like Access in the first place.

Agreed, which makes me think it would be nice to have a package where
the "For Dummies" user interface was nothing more than an interface and
did its storage using something better (or a choice of somethings).
Then, when the trivial job evolved, there'd be less trauma.

Java's EJBs gets a lot of the sense of this right even if the
implementation and the specifics have no relevance.  In theory, you get
control of everything when you need it, but you usually get OK defaults
for things when you let "the system" take care of them.

Phillip Mills
Multi-platform software development
(416) 224-0714