Semi-OT: Database for "average" users

phil phillip-l+pbsqP8NtUm29vl6s1fFg at public.gmane.org
Mon May 2 15:29:06 UTC 2005

(I know I'm starting to repeat myself and I'll stop soon, but....)

On May 2, 2005, at 11:19 AM, billt-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org wrote:

> I suggest that you give a non-administrator the job of setting up a
> non-trivial samba set up and see how far they get.
>
> Or give a non-expert a highly templated MSOffice environment (ie there
> is a template for every document, cross templates for linked
> documents, etc ...) like that found in a law office and see how far
> they get doing any work.

However my point is that there are trivial uses of these things that
don't require expert knowledge.  If word processors forced you to do
all the kerning by hand or some such thing then that would be a reason
to tell a beginner to use something else for simple jobs.  It may be
overkill and it may be a waste of resources, but it doesn't present a
massive barrier to getting started.

> Remember you are not complaining about database technology, you are
> complaining about the levels of complexity of the project. It is for
> 'the complexity of the project' that database people get paid for.

I have no problem with database people getting paid.  In fact, more
would be better.  :-)  My "complaint" is really about a big gap in
technology between a word processor table (or spreadsheet) on one hand
and PostgreSQL on the other.  Or maybe it isn't a gap and I simply
don't know what's there...it's a space that things like Filemaker (and
maybe MS Access) seem to touch on, but for Open Source equivalents...?

Phillip Mills
Multi-platform software development
(416) 224-0714