Thunderbird Slayer !

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon May 2 14:51:07 UTC 2005

On Sat, Apr 30, 2005 at 04:33:08PM -0400, William Park wrote:
> > The "fix" is to delete those messages with dupe IDs, specifically those
> > sent from the Thunderbird Slayer (peter) with ID
> > "6d79206c6974746c-aAzQ54TRRcg11FJ3OCGpZIeKlevqwCZs at public.gmane.org" , by hand, using vi (or whatever
> > your trusty text editor happens to be)
> >
> > In my case the process was
> > make a copy of your Inbox (Inbox.borked) in case you screw up.
> > $ vi /home/djp/Mail    (this is a soft link, your path will vary)
> > /Local\ Folders/Inbox
> > / 6d79206c6974746c-aAzQ54TRRcg11FJ3OCGpZIeKlevqwCZs at public.gmane.org   (find the ID
> > move the cursor to the top pf the message, hit "V" to enter Visual mode,
> > cursor down to the end of the message (say goodbye to the bogofilter
> > thread) and hit "d" to delete the block. wash, rinse,repeat until the
> > "string not found"
> > :wq
>
> 1.  Use 'mutt'.  It will show duplicate with '=>'.
> 2.  Use 'formail'.  (search -D option)

Oh so that is why all peter's messages show up under another message all
as duplicate messages even though the subject and content is different.
I hadn't noticed the message id's matched on them (I had never imagined
they could or would).

I was wondering what his mailer was doing wrong.  How annoying.  At
least mutt didn't mind, it just made all those messages appear
completely out of order, out of context and hence completely broke
threading.

Lennart Sorensen