Semi-OT: Database for "average" users

phil phillip-l+pbsqP8NtUm29vl6s1fFg at public.gmane.org
Mon May 2 13:54:05 UTC 2005

On May 2, 2005, at 9:12 AM, David Mayerlen wrote:

>  Absolutely classic problem. In the old days your vet sat at home in
> his
> basement and built a pet database using Filemaker Pro.

And wasn't stuck with a web browser faking it as a general purpose user
interface.  Things like phpMyAdmin are clever, but really!

>  We built this thing called "The Pointt" which allows one to create
> database driven apps whereby most of the common tasks are already
> sitting
> and waiting to be used.

Does it exist as a product?  (I tried the web site, but had trouble
finding actual information amid the marketing stuff.)
It sounds like you're on the right track where someone can start simply
and then only need to get into heavy technicalities if the application
grows.  Seems to me there are two bad outcomes that need to be avoided:
first, a project never getting started because the ramp-up cost (time,
money, energy) is too high; second, project evolution being prevented
by tool constraints (i.e. the "let's keep our contact list in MS Word"
syndrome).

>  The beginner type can build a
> database driven web app in minutes!!!

How about non-web...again, going back to your Filemaker Pro example?

Phillip Mills
Multi-platform software development
(416) 224-0714