cheap 802.11g card that has a real LINUX driver

Jamon Camisso jamon.camisso-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Mon May 2 13:53:19 UTC 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "D. Hugh Redelmeier" <hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org>
To: <tlug-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org>
Sent: Monday, May 02, 2005 2:04 AM
Subject: [TLUG]: cheap 802.11g card that has a real LINUX driver

> Most 802.11g CardBus cards cannot be natively supported by LINUX
> because their specs are not released without an NDA.  A really
> annoying state of affairs.
>
> Still, a good price for a somewhat scarce commodity that is useful for
> LINUX folks.
>
> http://www.factorydirect.ca/catalog/product_spec.php?pcode=NE0511
>
> I bought one today.  It seems to work with Fedora Core 3.  One trick:
> there is binary-only firmware that you have to scrounge from the net.
> I know: "what's the difference between binary-only firmware and a
> binary-only driver" -- not much.
>
> Here's the home of the driver.  It is in 2.6 apparently.
> http://prism54.org/
>From there you can find a source for the firmware and instructions for
> installing it.

Is it safe to assume that because the card works on your system that the
card model is not v2 or v3? According to the wiki those revisions are not
supported: (http://prism54.org/phpwiki?pagename=Supported%20Cards)

Is the wiki off or is the driver a little more robust -- or is the card
indeed a v1?

As a side note, with a little tweaking the dlink dwl-650+ can be
configured with minimal problems for use. The only problem with that card
is that it is only 802.11b. The driver at http://acx100.sourceforge.net
even has a download binary-firmware function built in.

Thoughts?