Configure Public share on Samba

Nezumikozo Nezumikozo-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Sun May 1 18:15:47 UTC 2005

Here is my smb.conf file that I have been running on Mandrake 10.0 for
about a year with nice results with similar purposes as Joe.  I am
accessing it from 2 Windows XP and 1 dual Mandriva/XP boxes.  This might
be a chance to see if I have some gaping security holes (outside my LAN)
or mistakes...

[global]
    workgroup = WORKGOUP NAME
    log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
    netbios name = SERVERS_NETBIOS_NAME
    server string = Samba Server %v
    security = share
    dead time = 15
    use sendfile = no
    printcap name = cups
    disable spoolss = Yes
    show add printer wizard = No
    printing = cups

[public]
        comment = Public Folder (audio, video etc)
        path = /path/to/folder
        force user = name_of_my_main_user_ID
        force group = users
        read only = No
        guest ok = Yes

[printers]
    comment = All Printers
    path = /var/spool/samba
    printer admin = users_names
    guest ok = Yes
    printable = Yes
    use client driver = Yes
    browseable = Yes

For me, the global section was the hardest to tweak.  Nice performance
gains with socket setting and use sendfile settings.

Do forget to refresh your Explorer window once you restart samba.  And,
if I remember right, turning on "Simple file sharing" in XP Pro was a
key issue.
(Windows Explorer -> Tools -> Folder Options -> View -> Use Simple File
Sharing (Recommended))

Jay