Interesting wrt switching from IIS to Solaris as web server

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Mar 30 22:03:55 UTC 2005

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 22:48:13 +0200 (IST), Peter <plp-ysDPMY98cNQDDBjDh4tngg at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> I know that, I was not referring to the technical aspects. I thought
> that someone wise enough to generate content that would serve cleanly
> from Apache would know better than to lock users into a specific
> browser. I am assuming that the content writers must have some knowledge
> of the server capabilities to make their sites work. Don't they bother
> or aren't they allowed to.

When I produce "content," I really don't need to know anything about
the "server capabilities."

I have had very little call to need to treat the HTTP server as being
anything smarter than a pure file server, thus...

 - I want to have documents "served up," so I create a bunch of files

 - They get plunked into a few directories to organize different forms
of content.

When the material is in that form, there isn't reason to care about
the differences between IIS, Apache, boa, khttpd, or, for that matter,
serving files up via NFS to a web browser that can look at things
'locally.'

There is a time and place to be more "intimate" with the details of
the server, but my feeling is that if I don't _really_ need to care,
then I won't.

It hasn't steered me wrong, thus far; there are quite a number of
categories where, if you search for certain topics on Google, pages at
my web site are likely to be amongst the top "hits," if not #1...
"The true  measure of a  man is how he treats  someone who can  do him
absolutely no good." -- Samuel Johnson, lexicographer (1709-1784)