Interesting wrt switching from IIS to Solaris as web server

Peter plp-ysDPMY98cNQDDBjDh4tngg at public.gmane.org
Wed Mar 30 20:48:13 UTC 2005

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005, John Macdonald wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 30, 2005 at 12:33:14PM +0200, Peter wrote:
>>
>> [ ... ]
>>
>> In general, with the exception of a few borg affiliates (dell, compaq -
>> whose laptops are notorious for driver problems when running linux), and
>> a few (non-us! - because most us government sites seem to run Apache!)
>> government websites, there is no IIS on the web. [ ... ]
>> [ ... ]
>> Now, knowing this, how come there are so many websites that require an
>> Explorer compatible browser for viewing ?!
>
> You don't use Apache to create web pages, just to serve them.
> It is the web page creation software that generates HTTP code;
> that code can be dependent upon specific browsers (either code
> that is truly dependent, or code that checks the browser type
> and aborts just in case it might be dependent).
>
> Apache can serve up HTTP code better than IIS, but it is equally
> stupid abut the content - if the code it is serving up happens
> to be broken or wearing a straightjacket, Apache doesn't know
> enough to fix it.  (In general, it would be impossible for
> Apache to do so.)

I know that, I was not referring to the technical aspects. I thought
that someone wise enough to generate content that would serve cleanly
from Apache would know better than to lock users into a specific
browser. I am assuming that the content writers must have some knowledge
of the server capabilities to make their sites work. Don't they bother
or aren't they allowed to.

thanks,
Peter