testing Sympatico mail servers

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Mar 30 19:42:56 UTC 2005

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 13:14:18 -0500, Alex Beamish <talexb-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 12:47:54 -0500, David J Patrick
> <davidjpatrick-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> > the Sympatico mail servers have been acting strangely for me, for the
> > last couple of weeks. smtp down for days at a time, and incoming mail
> > arriving late.
> > I'm just sending this test to the list to see if it'll take 18hrs to
> > rumble through, and the most recent postings I see (from any list) is
> > yesterday 'round 5PM; that can't be right ! I'm sure once the MSN
> > conversion is complete, this penguin will be out in the cold !
>
> Looks like your post made it through OK. I know I Googled for the
> problem some time ago and came across an alternative SMTP server for
> Sympatico: try smtp8 instead of smtp1. I changed someone over from
> smtp1 to smtp8 recently and their problems went away.
>
> The standard disclaimers apply, I do not work for Sympatico, your
> mileage may vary ..

Is there anything that we could say "systematically" about that?

Like, are there smtp2 thru smtp7 that might also be alternatives?

I recall hearing that they were rotating servers as they filled up
with spam, so it wouldn't surprise me that there would be merit to
going to one that has been most recently "cleaned up" in some
manner...
"The true  measure of a  man is how he treats  someone who can  do him
absolutely no good." -- Samuel Johnson, lexicographer (1709-1784)