Postfix + fetchmail puzzle

Peter King peter.king-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Wed Mar 30 01:40:05 UTC 2005

Okay, here's something strange. I'm trying to set
up simple email under OS X. The mailer is postfix,
with which I am not familiar.

I set postfix to use the relayhost for outgoing mail,
and I use fetchmail and procmail for incoming mail.
Fetchmail is set to run as a daemon process all the
time: fetchmail -d 450.

Curiously, it doesn't seem to work. In order for me
to actually get my mail, I have to send a message to
myself. Sending an outbound message somehow causes
either fetchmail or postfix to wake up, and within a
few minutes I have the latest iteration of email.

Any idea what's happening here? As I said, I don't
know anything about postfix, or about OS X for that
matter. I have used sendmail + fetchmail + procmail
and exim + fetchmail + procmail successfully in the
past, on OpenBSD and Debian machines.

Peter King			 	peter.king-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Department of Philosophy
215 Huron Street
The University of Toronto		    (416)-978-3788 ofc
Toronto, ON  M5S 1A1
       CANADA

http://individual.utoronto.ca/pking/