rogers with static IP ?

Robert Brockway rbrockway-wgAaPJgzrDxH4x6Dk/4f9A at public.gmane.org
Tue Mar 29 21:56:43 UTC 2005

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005, David Colebatch wrote:

> Has anyone here had any experience with Rogers Business cable connections? Do
> you have a static IP?

I've never come across any cable connections anywhere in the world that
offer a static address.  This is not a technical limitation since it is
trivial to make a DHCP reservation permanent.  It seems to be a cultural
aspect of the use of cable.

If they want static they'll need to go with DSL or another technology.

> Also, does Rogers do any port filtering to prevent hosting services too?

Last time I checked they were not filtering incoming ports but there have
been reports of periodic scans with them investigating anything except
ssh.

The acceptible use policy your client has probably prohibits them from
offering services.

> At the moment it looks like I might have to recommend an SDSL
> connection...unless of course providers here don't give static IP's there
> either? :S

Plenty of DSL providers offer static addresses now.

Rob

--
Robert Brockway B.Sc.
Senior Technical Consultant, OpenTrend Solutions Ltd.