network connection issue

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue Mar 29 18:28:51 UTC 2005

On Fri, Mar 25, 2005 at 09:21:47AM -0500, Matt Cahill wrote:

> It seems this is 'networking week' on TLUG, so let me throw this out (as it's
> pertinent):
>
>   I've got a cable modem (Motorola SB5100), and I found that - lately - if I
> hooked it up via USB, for some flaky reason I simply couldn't get a
> connection upon rebooting (which I'm sure has something to do with the USB
> ports, as the modem works perfectly and the connection is solid).
>   I decided to go back to RJ45 (Cat-6) via an ethernet card which has worked
> solidly in the past. However, I've discovered now that every time I boot up
> there is no recognition between the cable modem and the PCI ethernet card -
> however, once I'm booted up, all I need to do is run '/etc/init.d/networking
> restart' and all is well (every time), which leads me to believe that perhaps
> one of the following scenarios is happening:

I have the same modem and have had no problem using the ethernet port.
The USB port will never be connected to anything in my house since USB
is not a good choice for network related uses.

> 1. My system isn't recognizing my PCI card prior to DHCP trying to do the
> magic handshake (it certainly does recognize my PCI cards when I'm logged
> in).
> 2. My system has got USB on the brain and isn't *looking* for a PCI ethernet
> connection ?
> 3. My system is possessed by space-monkeys.
>
>   Any clues what I can try to sort this one out?

Get a working network card or perhaps get working software.

Perhaps your system isn't configured to load the ethernet driver or to
configure it with dhcp, or you have a firewall loading at boot that
doesn't allow through dhcp.  It really should be very easy to get
working (just forget the thing has a usb port and you should be fine).

You can also check if your dhcp client is working.  pump tends to work
well for me, while dhcpcd has some problems and dhclient is just
useless.

Lennart Sorensen