Cellular Internet backup connection

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Mon Mar 28 21:12:24 UTC 2005

Jason Shein wrote:
> On March 28, 2005 08:31 pm, James Knott wrote:
>
>>Alan Cohen wrote:
>>
>>>Hello all
>>>
>>>Does anyone have any suggestions for a cellular (GSM etc) Internet
>>>connection to be used as a secondary to my main connection? Things like
>>>who (Fido,Rogers,Bell...), how (modems such as wavecom's WMOD2B) and
>>>how-to's?.
>>>A static IP number would be helpful.
>>
>>Rogers has the GPRS service, but I don't think it comes cheap.  I'd be
>>surprised if static IPs are available.  You can either use PCMCIA cards
>>or an appropriate cell phone.

> The Treo 600 can be run in tethered mode, which allows you to use it as a
> modem, dialing out to your preferred dial-up ISP.
>
> There may be some other cell phones able to do this, but I am unaware of any.

There are many models that support GPRS, but there was a service
available on Rogers and others, that essentially made your phone appear
as a dial up 9600 bps modem.  Rogers is no longer offering that service,
but still maintaining it for existing customers.  GPRS is capable of
much higher data rates.